In this episode of the TiLT Parenting Podcast, I’m excited to be bringing to the show Dr. Becky Bailey, award-winning author, speaker, educator, and expert in childhood education and developmental psychology. For more than twenty years, Dr. Bailey has been a pioneer in the movement to change the way children, and in particular differently wired children, are treated. Many parents and teachers in the Tilt community know her as the founder of Conscious Discipline, an evidence-based, comprehensive approach to behavior using the principles of safety, connection, and problem-solving. Initially conceived for classroom application, the Conscious Discipline techniques are now used all over the world in classrooms and homes alike, leading a “revolution of the heart” rooted in brain science.
This conversation is full of the kind of powerful reframes and helpful tips that will leave you not only thinking about your parenting differently, but will give you step-by-step changes you can begin implementing immediately in your interactions with your child. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have this conversation with Dr. Bailey, who generously shared so much wisdom and insight with us.
About Dr. Bailey: Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D., is an award-winning author, renowned teacher and internationally recognized expert in childhood education and developmental psychology. She touches thousands of lives each year through live events. Over 2M of her top-selling books are in circulation, and Conscious Discipline has impacted an estimated 20M children. A pioneer in social and emotional learning, Dr. Bailey has a proven track record of success spanning more than 20 years. She is the founder of Conscious Discipline, a company dedicated to creating positive, brain-smart environments for children, families, schools and businesses. As an educator, Dr. Bailey has worked with the most difficult children for 40+ years and has developed curriculum and taught at the college and graduate level.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- What Conscious Discipline is and how it is connected to neuroscience
- How to reframe our ideas and judgements about behavior
- Why we must shift from a mindset of fear to one of love, when it comes to approaching conflict and discipline with a child
- How we can help our child through tantrums and meltdowns without contributing our own energy to the situation
- Steps and scripts for parents to develop self-control skills they can tap into in difficult moments
- Anger: Coach Kids Through It (video)
- Becoming the Best You Can Be Webinar Series (7 videos)
- Shifting from Fear to Love (video)
- Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict by Dr. Becky Bailey
- Conscious Discipline: Building Resilient Classrooms by Dr. Becky Bailey
- Managing Emotional Mayhem: The Five Steps for Self-Regulation by Dr. Becky Bailey
- Dr. Mona Delahooke on Looking Beyond Challenging Behavior (podcast episode)
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!