Our “Kid’s POV” special podcast episodes featuring conversations with my son Asher are particularly popular, especially among members of the community who like to co-listen with their own differently-wired children. And from time to time, we get emails from listeners who want to know more about Asher and how he deals with certain situations.
A few months ago, we did a special episode where Asher tackled listener’s questions specifically related to his social life, and in today’s episode, we’re going to go through some other listener questions, covering everything from how Asher handles big emotions and thinks about his diagnoses to how he stays positive when he gets in trouble just for being who he is. And because many listeners are just curious to know more about who Asher is and what he’s interested in, I threw in a couple of personal questions at the end about his favorite books, games, movies, hobbies, and more.
Pro tip: This is a good episode for co-listening! When Asher and I listen to podcasts, we dump a puzzle out on the dining room table and listen while building the puzzle. It makes for a nice combination!
About Debbie and Asher: Debbie Reber is the founder of TiLT and the host of the TiLT Parenting Podcast. Asher is Debbie’s son and is regularly featured on the podcast. Find out more by visiting the About Page.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How Asher identifies and/or fits in with other kids his age
- Whether his diagnosis is an important part of how he sees himself
- How Asher self-soothes when feeling sad or scared or other big emotions
- Whether his deep areas of interest are ever an issue in relationships with others
- Whether Asher ever feels down about himself because of challenges that crop up related to his ADHD and/or Asperger’s
- Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!