In this episode of the TiLT Parenting Podcast, my guest for is internationally-recognized educational psychologist Dr. Michele Borba. Michele is one of those guests I’ve been wanting to bring onto the show for a while now, so I’m thrilled to finally have her on. And it could not come at a better time. Her new book, Thrivers: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine, is packed with simple strategies, practical ideas, and step-by-step advice to help kids thrive and it is the book we all need right now. If Michele’s name is familiar, it may be because she is a regular contributor to the TODAY Show, and the author or co-author of a number of best-selling parenting books, including The Big Book of Parenting Solutions, Unselfie, 12 Simple Secrets Real Moms Know, and many more.
In this conversation, Michele and I talk about what it takes for a child to thrive—looking at seven particular character traits—and explore what we as parents can do to help our child develop the resilience they need to become self-actualized adults, yes even in spite of a global pandemic. I loved having this conversation with Michele and the energy and optimism she brings to this moment in time.
About Dr. Borba: Michele Borba, Ed.D. is an internationally-recognized educator who has spoken to over one million parents and educators. She is recognized for her solution-based strategies on raising caring, resilient kids, and has appeared over 150 times on the TODAY show and featured in outlets including New York Times, Washington Post, Time, and Dateline. Her 24 books, including UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World, are translated in 20 languages; her latest (March 2021) is Thrivers: The Surprising Reasons Why Some Kids Struggle and Others Shine.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How her book Thrivers came to be written
- The seven traits that help kids thrive: Self-Confidence, Empathy, Self-Control, Integrity, Curiosity, Perseverance, and Optimism
- What is meant by the Multiplier Effect
- Why parents of differently wired children should feel optimistic about their child acquiring and developing these character strengths
- What thriving and resiliency mean in the midst of a global pandemic
- Michele’s favorite simple strategies and practical ideas for parents to help kids thrive
- 7 Essential Character Traits (downloadable PDF from Michele’s book)
- Assessing Character Strengths (downloadable PDF from Michele’s book)
- A 21-day Parenting Challenge to Raise Thrivers (downloadable PDF from Michele)
- Helping Children Thrive in Uncertain Times (Michele’s video series)
- Unselfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About Me World by Michele Borba
SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM OUR SPONSOR
Mightier’s clinically proven program (developed by Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School)applies fun video game play and practice to help children better manage their emotions for happier healthier lives. Mightier is designed to work with all families right at home And it works! 95% of parents report a positive behavior change within 3 months. Loved by Kids, Trusted by Parents, Developed by Clinicians. Learn more at Mightier.com