This week I’m bringing back to the podcast sexuality educator and parenting expert Amy Lang for a follow-up conversation about online pornography. I know this is something on many parents’ minds right now, as kids are spending more and more time online during the pandemic. After hearing from more and more anxious parents, and knowing from my past conversations with Amy just how important it is that kids have the information and context they need about porn, I wanted to have a frank conversation about how parents can initiate and continue to have conversations with our kids about sexuality.
Amy is passionate about helping parents get comfortable being uncomfortable, and fostering a dynamic with our children that will result in healthy attitudes around sexuality. In our conversation today, I ask Amy to shed some light on what she is seeing and hearing from parents during the pandemic, what parents should be looking out for right now, and the literal words that parents can use to start these important conversations with our kids.
About Amy: A sexual health educator for over 25 years, Amy Lang helps parents of all beliefs talk with kids about the birds and bees. Amy is the award-winning author of two books—one for parents and one for teens—and has an advice column style podcast, Just Say This! Amy’s talks, books, online resource center and podcast help parents learn how to talk with their kids about this important and awkward part of life. Amy is still married to her first husband and they are the proud parents of a sweet 19-year-old man-child.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How the Covid-19 pandemic is affecting kids’ exposure to pornography and other explicit material online
- What is the reality about porn exposure
- Why talking about sex witth our kids keep them safer online
- What else can parents do to protect their kids online
- What signs parents should be looking out for indicating their child has been exposed to pornography
- Amy’s advice on parental controls, filters, and monitoring
- How to START conversations about sex with your child, including tips for different ages and scenarios
- Birds & Bees Solutions Center (everything you need to become your child’s go-to birds and bees source)
- Amy Lang Talks About Sex Edcuation and Differently Wired Kids (Tilt Podcast episode)
- Sex Educator Amy Lang Talks About Kids and Pornography (Tilt Podcast episode)
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!
To subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss a single episode, you can do so on iTunes here and SoundCloud here.