In this episode, I’m talking with coach, counselor, and author Gabriel Villarreal about the intersection of mental health and exercise for differently wired kids. Gabriel is not just a licensed counselor specializing in ADHD and the owner of LostBoys Strength & Conditioning gym—he also has ADHD himself and has experienced the convergence of these three topics in a profoundly personal way.
In our conversation, we talk about the concept of exercise as medicine, the differences and considerations of exercise benefits for ADHD and ASD, as well for males and females, and Gabriel’s advice for parents and coaches who want to help their differently wired kids and athletes thrive mentally and physically. I found this conversation so fascinating, and hope you do too.
About Gabriel: Gabriel Villarreal, is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Virginia. He owns LostBoys Strength & Conditioning, the only gym that offers coaching to children with special needs such as ADHD, ASD, Depression, Anxiety and other mental health disorders. Additionally, with his private practice, ADHD Counseling in the Roanoke Valley he coaches the only class in the country specifically for ADHDers, designed to give them the medicine exercise offers. Gabriel is an expert in the topic of exercise and mental health, is routinely asked to speak to gyms, coaches, athletes and educators, in the Roanoke Valley and beyond, on all things exercise and mental health.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How Gabriel came to understand the connection between exercise and mental health
- How exercise can be considered medicine for ADHD, ASD, and other diagnoses
- How Gabriel structures his classes and coaching to best help differently wired kids
- How parents can approach exercise in the age of COVID (school changes, lockdown, and staying at home)
- What are other ways that mental health and exercise intersect
- What types of exercises/sports are good for differently wired kids
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ADHD Answers: On Exercise as Medicine by Gabriel Villarreal
- ADHD Answers: On the Benefits of Music Therapy: Understanding the Benefits of Music for the ADHD Brain by Gabriel Villarreal
- ADHD Answers: On Strengths & Positioning: Don’t Just Survive with ADHD, Unlock your Superpowers and Thrive by Gabriel Villarreal
- Susan Stout on Helping Athletic Coaches Understand Differently Wired Kids (Tilt podcast episode)
SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM OUR SPONSOR
Lindamood-Bell helps children and adults improve language processing—the foundation of all communication and learning. Considering homeschooling this year? Our intensive, evidence-based, sensory-cognitive instruction for reading, comprehension, and math can help your child catch up or get ahead. In a matter of weeks, your child can feel more confident and prepared for school in the fall!
Learn more at LindamoodBell.com/tilt to enroll today!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!