My guest this week is Dr. Mark Bertin, a developmental pediatrician who specializes in the promotion of child development and developmental disorders such as ADHD, autism, and learning disabilities. Mark is also the author of The Family ADHD Solution, Mindful Parenting for ADHD, and his most recent book which is the focus of today’s conversation, How Children Thrive: The Practical Science of Raising Independent, Resilient, and Happy Kids.
There were so many directions we could have gone in for this conversation, but we decided to focus on the topics of how to develop resilience, both in our kids and ourselves, the ways in which executive functioning impacts all aspects of a child’s development, and how mindfulness can be a powerful tool to help parents manage the uncertainty in day-to-day life.
About Dr. Bertin: Dr. Mark Bertin is a developmental pediatrician and author of How Children Thrive, Mindful Parenting for ADHD, and The Family ADHD Solution, which integrate mindfulness into the rest of evidence-based pediatric care. He is a contributing author for the book Teaching Mindfulness Skills to Kids and Teens. Dr. Bertin is on faculty at New York Medical College and the Windward Teacher Training Institute, and on the advisory boards for the nonprofits Common Sense Media and Reach Out and Read. He is a regular contributor to Mindful Magazine, and his blog is available through Mindful.org and Psychology Today.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How executive functioning is influenced by parenting and how parenting is influenced by executive functioning
- What resilience is and why it’s so important that we help our kids develop it
- The importance of stepping out of autopilot in our parenting
- Ideas for how parents can cultivate emotional resilience
- Suggestions for ways to train our brains to live more intentionally
- The connecting between mindfulness and handling the uncertainty in day to day life
- What a negativity bias is and how we can shift ourselves and our kids away from it
- How Children Thrive: The Practical Science of Raising Independent, Resilient, and Happy Kids by Dr. Mark Bertin
- Mindful Parenting for ADHD: A Guide for Cultivating Calm, Reducing Stress, and Helping Children Thrive by Dr. Mark Bertin
- The Family ADHD Solution: A Scientific Approach to Maximizing Your Child’s Attention and Minimizing Parental Stress by Dr. Mark Bertin
- Seth Perler (executive functioning coach)
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!
To subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss a single episode, you can do so on iTunes here and SoundCloud here.