This weeks’ episode is a must-listen to if your child uses technology and screens of any sort. (So pretty much, everyone.) My guest this week is Dr. Devorah Heitner, an expert on young people’s relationship with digital media and technology. Devorah is the author of Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World and founder of Raising Digital Natives, and her mission is to cultivate a culture of empathy and social/emotional literacy. Devorah did a fascinating TEDx talk a few years back called The Challenges of Raising a Digital Native, which I highly recommend you check out.
Today Devorah and I talk about kids’ relationship with screens, everything from the specific challenges related to screens and technology for differently wired kids to how we as parents can start being effective mentors for our child when it comes to helping them develop healthy screen habits. I asked Devorah the big questions I hear all the time from parents, like how much time spent on screens is too much, does the type of activity ours kids are doing make a difference when setting limits, and much more. I hope you get a lot out of this interview.
About Devorah: An expert on young people’s relationship with digital media and technology, Dr. Devorah Heitner is the author of Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World and founder of Raising Digital Natives. Her mission is to cultivate a culture of empathy and social/emotional literacy.
Dr. Heitner’s work has appeared in the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, TIME magazine and Education Week. She has a Ph.D. in Media/Technology & Society from Northwestern University and has taught at DePaul and Northwestern. She is delighted to be raising her own digital native.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Why it’s important that we focus on tech literacy in our kids rather than specific apps
- The most common challenges for differently wired kids when it comes to their relationship with technology
- How we might use their skills and interest in tech to bridge into areas of strength
- The challenges stemming from schools’ increasing reliance on technology in a 1 to 1 capacity
- Whether or not there is true value in online or virtual social relationships
- Why our role as parents should be that of mentor when it comes to our child’s relationship with screens
- The difference between tech savvy and being wise about technology
- Why all screen media isn’t created equal—it’s important to discriminate between the way our kids use media
- How much “screen time” is too much?
- What are goals should be in helping our kids become wise technology consumers
- Strategies to start using to become a positive “screen” mentor for our children
- Raising Digital Natives (Devorah’s website)
- Screenwise: Helping Kids Thrive (and Survive) in Their Digital World by Dr. Devorah Heitner
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!