This week’s episode features a conversation with Angela Pruess, a licensed clinical therapist and mom of three who wants to help all parents raise emotionally healthy kids that will change the world, by explaining the he(art) and science behind our child’s developmental and emotional.
Angela and I have been in touch since I first launched TiLT Parenting, so I’m really excited to finally be bringing her onto the show. She has many areas of expertise, but for this episode, we decided to focus specifically on the topic of that elusive thing so many of us are trying to help develop in our kids, but can be very difficult to know exactly where to start and what we should expect over our child’s developmental timeline—self-regulation and emotional regulation.
Today we dive deep into what it is, why it’s an important skill for our kids to develop, the different ways we as parents and caregivers and teachers can support our kids in nurturing these skills, and more. There are a lot of nuggets in this episode—I hope you get a lot out of it!
About Angela: Angela Pruess is a licensed clinical therapist and mom of 3 who wants to help you raise emotionally healthy kids that will change the world, by explaining the he(art) and science behind your child’s developmental and emotional needs at ParentsWithConfidence.com. She also writes about childhood mental health and the therapeutic power of play. With her help, you can better understand your child, help them meet their full potential, and LOVE the journey of parenthood.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- What self-regulation / emotional regulation actually is and what it can look like when kids struggle with it
- Why self-regulation can be developed over time, even when the time line looks different
- How we might expect development of self-regulation to progress at different ages for a differently wired child
- Where parents should start when it comes to developing self-regulation abilities
- The importance of modelling self-regulation for our kids
- How we can best support teachers in being our partners in developing our kids’ self-regulation
- How parents can most effectively do in supporting our kids in learning these skills
- Strategies for what to do when kids are resistant to working on self-regulation
- Top tips for jumpstarting our child’s self-regulation
- Parents With Confidence (Angela’s website)
- How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child That Will Succeed in Life (article on Parents With Confidence)
- How to Be the Best Parent to Your Emotionally Intense Child (article on Parents With Confidence)
- Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child: The One Mistake You Want to Avoid (article on Parents with Confidence)
- Self-Reg: How to Help Your child (and You) Break the Stress Cycle and Successfully Engage with Life by Stuart Shanker
- Dr. Ross Greene (Lives in the Balance Website)
- 30 Games & Activities to Boost Self-Regulation (Inspired Tree House)
- Stop, Breathe, & Think App (Breathe Kids)
Click on the image below to learn more about UNDERSTOOD’s Summer Book Club (July / August 2018)
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!