In this episode of the TiLT Parenting Podcast, my guest is Penny Williams, author of the book Boy Without Instructions: Surviving the Learning Curve of Parenting a Child with ADHD, as well The Insiders Guide to ADHD, and What To Expect When Parenting a Child with ADHD. Penny is also the founder of Parenting ADHD and Autism, which features a blog, coaching, and the Parenting ADHD podcast, all aimed at helping parents raising special kids survive, thrive, and parent with purpose.
In our conversation, Penny shares her story of raising her differently wired son, gives us the inside scoop on her books, and shares some of her best strategies for getting through the tough moments with our unique kiddos. I hope you enjoy the episode!
About Penny: Penny Williams is a coffee-lovin’, ADHD-obsessed momma on a mission, and she’s honored to help families on this always chaotic, often stressful, anything-but-ordinary parenting journey. Through her award-winning books, online parent training programs, and parent coaching, Penny helps families like yours survive and thrive in the face of ADHD through a compassionate, purposeful parenthood.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Penny’s personal story of discovering her son’s neurodifferences and advocating for him in school
- Why holding her son back one year in school was the best decision Penny made (but she had to follow her gut to make it)
- Penny’s thoughts on medicating kids for ADHD, as well as her story in figuring out the best medication path for her son
- Why Penny had mom guilt with some her choices in supporting her son
- Penny’s thoughts on the co-morbid diagnoses of ADHD and autism
- The challenges of getting a thorough and accurate diagnosis when there are multiple symptoms
- Parenting ADHD and Aspergers (Penny’s website)
- Boy Without Instructions:Surviving the Learning Curve of Parenting a Child with ADHD by Penny Williams
- What to Expect When Parenting Children with ADHD: A 9-Step Plan to Master the Struggles and Triumphs of Parenting a Child with ADHD by Penny Williams
- The Insider’s Guide to ADHD: Adults with ADHD Reveal the Secret to Parenting Kids with ADHD by Penny Williams
- The Hidden Layers of ADHD: The Underlying Complexities of ADHD, and their Powerful Effect on Your Parenting Success by Penny Williams
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Dr. Ross Greene
- Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership with Your Child by Dr. Ross Greene
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber
Read through the whole episode!
DOWNLOAD THE COMPLETE TRANSCRIPT
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!
To subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss a single episode, you can do so on iTunes here and SoundCloud here.