In this episode, I talk with Dr. Robin McEvoy, one of the co-authors of the new book Child Decoded: Unlocking Complex Issues in Your Child’s Learning, Behavior, or Attention. I’m excited to bring this conversation to you and give you an inside look at this book, as it’s truly a unique and important addition to what currently exists to help parents like us meet our exceptional kids’ needs.
Robin, a developmental neuropsychologist, and one of three authors of the book, explains that they wrote Child Decoded to be that “owner’s manual” we all wish we had for our differently-wired child. And it really is a new kind of book, because, as you’ll hear in our conversation, it provides parents with a broader understanding of the issues that may be affecting their children—whether there’s a diagnosis or not—as well as concise information on who can help and how. It’s truly a comprehensive, in my opinion, game-changing book for parents who aren’t sure where to start or where to focus their efforts, especially for those of us whose kids have more than one diagnosis.
About Robin: Dr. Robin McEvoy is a developmental neuropsychologist practicing in Denver, Colorado. She evaluates and diagnoses a wide range of learning disabilities and learning needs in children, adolescents, and adults. She then works with the family to develop a treatment plan to remediate weaknesses and accentuate strengths. In addition to her private practice, Dr. McEvoy is an assistant professor at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Although evaluation is the heart of her work, Dr. McEvoy also loves the educational process – speaking to parents, schools, or other health professionals about learning, development, and parenting in this new age where many learning and developmental challenges are more frequent. Learn more at www.robinmcevoy.com.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- The story behind the book Child Decoded
- How to help kids be more available and open so they can benefit from the services they’re getting
- Ways to figure out a path to move forward, including knowing where to focus efforts, energy, and resources, identifying underlying things, and prioritizing
- How to get the most out of the book
- Why it’s so hard for even good practitioners to put together all the pieces of the puzzle
- How and why the authors combined different therapeutic and medical approaches
- An overview of the alternative approaches included in the book, and why they chose to include them
- Child Decoded: Unlocking Complex Behaviors in Your Child’s Learning, Behavior or Attention on Amazon
- Neural Integration website (from Kim Ganguish, Child Decoded co-author)