My guest for this episode of the TiLT Parenting Podcast is educator, author, and blogger Celi Trepanier. A teacher who has taught in both public and private schools, Celi became a passionate advocate for gifted children after tiring of her battles with schools and their misunderstanding of how to support gifted children. She is the author of the book Educating Your Gifted Child: How One Public School Teacher Embraced Homeschooling, a parent group facilitator for the organization SENG (Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted), and keeps a blog at Crushing Tall Poppies.
In our conversation, we talk about why many schools, even sometimes those designed specifically to cater to gifted children, aren’t able to support these unique learners, and Celi shares why she believes homeschooling gifted children is such a great option if it’s something that is possible for families, as well as gives us her advice for how to get started.
And I wanted to give a special shout out to the Gifted Homeschooler’s Forum, who connected me with Celi, and who is also the publisher of her book. Thank you!
About Celi:Celi Trépanier is the author of Educating Your Gifted Child: How One Public School Teacher Embraced Homeschooling, as well as a writer, passionate advocate for gifted children, an anti-bullying proponent, MEd, former public school teacher, and a homeschooling mom.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- What giftedness is, as well as why there are negative stigmas attached to the label
- Why most public schools are failing our gifted kids
- Why sometimes even programs for gifted kids don’t really “get” gifted kids (they teach to kids who are “high achieving” rather than than “gifted”)
- Why homeschooling can be such a great fit for gifted children
- How parents can determine if homeschooling is a doable option for their family
- Crushing Tall Poppies (Celi Trepanier’s website)
- Parenting Horizons—Parenting Coach Julie Ross
- Why Fostering Cultures of Respect in Our Schools is Absolutely Critical (podcast episode)
THANKS SO MUCH FOR LISTENING!
Do you have an idea for an upcoming episode? We’d LOVE to hear from you. Please share your thoughts in our Suggestion Box!
And if you have any other feedback or thoughts you’d like to share, feel free to leave a comment below or send us a note directly through our Connect form.
If you liked this episode and know of others who would find value in the information, please use the social media share buttons below to help spread the word.
Lastly, if you are so willing, I encourage you to leave an honest review for the TiLT Parenting Podcast over on iTunes. Reviews are very important for helping podcasts find their audiences, and we would love your support in helping us find ours!