In this special kid’s POV edition, I share a short conversation with my 11-year-old son Asher about the new morning routine he began doing in January 2016 (and is still doing as of the writing of this post in May 2016).
His routine is based on author and speaker Hal Elrod’s book The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM). Because I’m always looking for ways to support Asher in developing more self-awareness so he can learn how to make his way through life on his own terms and in a way that feels good, I convinced him to start off the New Year trying out a new routine. He agreed and we haven’t looked back
In this episode, Asher walks listeners through what his new 6-step morning routine—consisting of meditation, affirmations, visualization, exercise, reading, and journaling—looks like, and explains how it’s impacted him, as well as why he thinks other kids would benefit.
About Debbie and Asher: Debbie Reber is the founder of TiLT and the host of the TiLT Parenting Podcast. 11-year-old Asher is Debbie’s son and is regularly featured on the podcast. Find out more about Debbie and Asher by visiting the About Page.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How implementing a purposeful morning routine such as the one highlighted in Hal Elrod’s book The Miracle Morning has the potential to positively impact a child’s day
- The benefits for children on beginning each day by focusing on presence, positivity, and intention
- Asher’s thoughts on whether other kids could benefit from a new morning routine like the one he’s doing
- How meaningful a change can be when a child is self-motivated by their own personal discoveries about the benefits of a new habit
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM) by Hal Elrod
- Pat Flynn’s podcast, Smart Passive Income
- Kerbal Space Program, Asher’s favorite online game (at the moment)
- Asher and Debbie’s visualization soundtrack: Enya’s Caribbean Blue, Charles Atlas’ The Snow Before Us, and Badly Drawn Boy’s I Love NYE