Today’s episode is a Kid’s POV Special episode featuring another conversation with my 12-year-old son Asher. Our topic? Conflict. More specifically, conflict between the two of us. We’re tackling this topic because I’ve been getting questions from listeners who want to know a) if we even have conflicts at all and b) if so, how we handle them.
The easy answer to the first part of that question is DEFINITELY. We DEFINITELY have conflict. I’m very human in that way, as is Asher. Today, we’ll spend the episode answering the second part of that question. We’ll talk about the kinds of things that crop up and cause conflict between us, and then we’ll share with you what that actually looks like in our world—what I do, what he does, and most importantly, how we move through and past it.
Pro tip: This is a good episode for co-listening! When Asher and I listen to podcasts, we dump a puzzle out on the dining room table and listen while building the puzzle. It makes for a nice combination!
About Debbie and Asher: Debbie Reber is the founder of TiLT and the host of the TiLT Parenting Podcast. Asher is Debbie’s son and is regularly featured on the podcast. Find out more by visiting the About Page.
THINGS YOU’LL LEARN FROM THIS EPISODE:
- How Asher perceives conflict in general—good? Bad? Indifferent?
- How the Order of Operations nearly brought down Debbie and Asher’s homeschool
- The anatomy of a conflict between Debbie and Asher, from start to finish
- The power of empathy to shift the energy and help Asher feel seen and heard
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Dr. Ross Green
- Collaborative Problem Solving (now called the Collaborative and Proactive Solutions model)